Customers purchasing 10+ culms of Peak Bamboo in a single order will be receiving a coupon for a $50 discount on these forms. Customers purchasing 20+ culms of Peak Bamboo in a single order will be receiving a coupon for a $100 discount. Discount coupons are not combinable and are limited to one per client. Discount coupon codes are only valid if you have previously purchased Peak Bamboo in quantities of 10+ or 20+ culms. Thanks for your understanding!
NO SHIPPING CHARGE WILL BE APPLIED AT CHECKOUT – SHIPPING WILL BE BILLED SEPARATELY ON A CUSTOM BASIS. FORMS WILL BE SHIPPED TO YOU DIRECTLY FROM BELLINGER, TYPICALLY 2-3 WEEKS AFTER PAYMENT IS RECEIVED FOR THE FORM AND FOR THE SEPARATE SHIPPING CHARGE.
- $60 Inside Oregon
- $80 West of The Rockies, except Oregon
- $105 East of The Rockies
- International Shipment On a Case by Case Basis
These are well thought-out professional grade and professionally-made planing forms.
- We start with two bars of ¾” x1-1/4” x 72” highly-machinable, 1018 cold-rolled steel. The bars are mated together and the surfaces are ground uniformly flat and parallel to create two 1-1/2” wide planing surfaces – this is critical to proper planing technique and sound rodmaking fundamentals. The width makes for a great visual reference and is ideal for keeping the block plane centered over the bamboo strip while planing; whether you use and an old school Stanley, a ported, modern marvel or a groovy soul plane.
- We machine the 60 degree tip and butt groove as precise as possible on a CNC mill with 72” length capability. We machine the slope with a consistent .001” to 1” drop – square and plumb to the uniformly ground surfaces which together creates the 60 degree equilateral groove in which we secure the strips. We have found the precision of the CNC mill exceeds anything we could achieve with our knee-mill. Taper reliability is directly related to the precision of the groove.
- We have designed our forms using an over-lapping groove rather than the more common continuous groove. The advantage of an over-lapping groove is that it provides for many more options on where the rodmaker can place the bamboo strip so it is securely held in the form while maintaining sound rodmaking fundamentals and proper technique. Also the starting depth dimensions of our over-lapping groove makes for a wider range of tapers that can be made on our forms; making the half-dimension for Catskill Fairy (.050”) size tips to the butt (.475”) section of a two-handed spey quite possible.
- The taper adjustment stations are on 5” centers throughout the length of our forms. Precision dowel pins are placed between the adjustment stations and keep the bars in alignment. The push/ pull adjustment stations operate by manipulating the two screws that are located on opposite sides of the form. This makes it very easy to operate the adjustment wrenches while reading a depth gauge. Our adjustment station hardware is sized for the dimension of our forms. For a “puller” we use a 3/8” shoulder bolt with 5/16” coarse threads and a 5/16” fine threaded cap screw for the “pusher”. We insert a ball-bearing between the push screw and the planing form. The ball-bearing reduces the surface tension between the end of the cap screw and the planing form bar and makes adjustment very smooth. Adjustments are made using hex-“T”-wrenches.
- We want to make keep our forms as affordable as possible without compromising those things that are important to rodmakers or those things that are important toward maintaining sound rodmaking fundamentals and proper technique. What we haven’t been able to accomplish with price we have made up for with discounts on reelseats and depth gauges; two other important rodmaking products. Take advantage of these discounts to gain even more value from purchasing our forms.
Swelled-butt planing forms are made to the same tolerances as our standard taper planing forms but undergo an additional machining step which increases the slope of the 60-degree tapered groove by .040″ over 2-1/2″.
This dramatic change in the swelled-butt depth can be expanded using the adjustment screws to execute tapers for the most extreme swelled-butt rods. The swell is located on the butt side of the form outside the normal planing area and will not interfere with your ability to plane non-swelled tapers on this form.